Saturday 25 June 2011

Review: Delirium

5 of 5 stars
Delirium
by Lauren Oliver

Summary (Goodreads)
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love


Quote
"And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once." Lauren Oliver (Delirium)

Review
I LOVED this book. After reading "Before I Fall" I was a tad bit hesitant to read another Lauren Oliver book. However, it surpassed my expectations in all areas.

The plot was like none other I had read before. It was an original concept that transported me into the unstable possibilities of the future. What would life be like if love was a disease? "Delirium" painted a world I could never imagine for myself - a world where everything important to me would be considered dangerous.

Lena was everything a main character should be. It was very easy for me to place myself in her shoes and take a run through a futuristic Portland. The love story between her and Alex was a journey in itself as it was in pursuit of something banned and condemned. "Love" became a discovery in itself: hesitant, scary, and passionate.
This book made me fall for Lauren Oliver's writing. She writes as though she is painting a canvas (something I can truly appreciate). I recommend this book to everyone and eagerly await the second and third installments in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment