Tuesday 29 March 2011

The Art of Doing Nothing


The art of doing nothing is actually harder than it looks.  I have mastered the ability of reading a textbook when, in reality, I have fallen into a deep state of REM sleep.  I can make it look like I am taking notes when I am actually in a fantastical daydream land of cotton candy and rainbows.  I can actually sit on my couch and stare at the wall while being happy.  I can stand in my shower for twenty minutes and just stare at the grout between the tiles.  You think this is easy?  I don’t think so.

Now, the average person may think that doing nothing is a waste of precious time.  However, for those of us who succeed in doing nothing, this practice is a time for deep meditation and complete peace.  Sometimes it’s a good thing to let the mind wander into the unknown realms of oblivion.

Try staring at your reflection in the mirror.  After a good five minutes of staring, your features will start to become nonsensical.  You’ll start to see each piece of the human face individually and in complete focus.  Then your eyes will start to glaze over and your face will become a mere blob of peach and brown.  Congratulations!  You just succeeded in spending ten minutes of your life doing absolutely nothing!
               
But isn’t that what meditation is?  I mean, all of those wise monks in Tibet that sit on those bamboo mats for hours with their eyes closed are doing absolutely zilch! Is it beneficial?  Yes it is.

Thus, for those who continue to slander those who spend their time staring at the ceiling, or lazing on the couch, I hope you know that you are also taking a stab at the religious icons that spend hours kneeling on a stool with their hands clasped together.  In the end, we’re all doing the same thing.  We’re contemplating, thinking, looking for peace, and trying to understand the ebb and flow of this confusing life we call reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment