Friday 25 March 2011

Review

The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd
4/5 stars

This is the first book in a long time that has made me both laugh out loud and cry my eyes out. It is a beautifully written coming-of-age story where the metaphors drawn between the life of the main character and lives of the bees build a foundation for powerful life lessons. It is a sweet rollercoaster ride of loss, forgiveness, faith, and love.

The novel's main characters are developed gradually, yet carefully. As a reader, I came to love and really feel for Lilly, Rosalee, and the Boatwright sisters. In addition, the setting was clearly illustrated in my mind in shades of gold and yellow; the heartfelt descriptions drew me in and never let go.

I recommend this book for anyone looking for a well written, moving read. It left me with a fresh feeling, as well as a lasting warmth in my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment