Sunday 1 May 2011

Review: The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud


The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud
by Ben Sherwood
3.5/5

Summary
Instead of a written summary, I decided to post the trailer for the movie...


Quote
"That's death and life, you see. We all shine on. You just have to release your hearts, alert your senses, and pay attention. A leaf, a star, a song, a laugh. Notice all the little things, because somebody is reaching out to you. Qualcuno ti ama. Somebody loves you."
 Ben Sherwood (The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud)
Review
Very spiritual in nature and thought provoking, this novel is about dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one; it is about learning to move on.

Simply, yet beautifully written, this novel proved to be a very fast read. I found that although the first half of the novel was a bit slow, the last half proved to be exciting and tear-jerking. The words had an innate inability to make me examine my own life and purpose, as well as the spiritual realm that proceeds death.

The romance revolving around Charlie and Tess is sweet, but to really enjoy this book one must learn to suspend his or her disbelief.
I recommend this book to anyone in search of a heartwarming read with a resounding message. It is a bittersweet commentary on loving, living, and letting go.

*I absolutely loved the movie!  So be sure to check that out too!*

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review, Sarah! I was really curious about the movie and since you loved it, I might just checked it out. The book sounds sad. I'm sure if I read it I'll cry. Thank you for your review! =]

    ReplyDelete