Tuesday 10 May 2011

Review: Red Riding Hood


Red Riding Hood
by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
329 pages (not including on-line chapter)
4/5

Summary (Watch the theatrical trailer for the movie!)


Quote
"The world went quiet.  Then Valerie heard an intricate voice, a medley woven from sounds both male and female, human and animal.  A composite of every voice she'd ever known, it vibrated deep within her.  The Devil's voice."

Review
I started reading this book with low expectations because of some of the horrific reviews that I've read. However, I found that it was incredibly well-written. The sensual imagery was so vivid and beautiful; the vocabulary was decadent. It was a very fast and enjoyable read because of the way it transported me into a unique time and place.

The main heroine was very strong and older than her years. She had the ability to be both fearless and loving, striving towards her goals head-on. The love triangle tore my heart in two because it was very difficult to distinguish the better love-interest (both were incredibly nice and good-looking).

The actions scenes were intense, brutal, and gory! Very exciting! I loved how the book kept me guessing as I never knew who the Wolf was until the very end!

The only thing I despised about this book was the fact that I had to go online to read the last chapter. This was very annoying. Other than that, I recommend this book to anyone in search for an emotional, well-written rollercoaster ride.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, action scenes! I love em and I can't get enough of em ahaha. Ahh hard love triangles are infuriating, lol. That would tear my heart apart too. I wanna watch the movie! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I really loved the book. It was written in such a different way. I loved how descriptive it was!

    I can't stand that they didn't include the last chapter in the book! What about people who want to read it years down the road? I want my book to be complete. :(

    I'm glad to have another person like it as much as I did!

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I have really low expectations as well... I don't even think it's on my TBR... But now that I've read your review, I think I might just go and add it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, fantastic review, Sarah! You know, I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this one that's why I was a bit hesitant whether to pick it up or not. But with your awesome review, I'm sure that I NEED to get it! It sounds awesome. So it doesn't include the last chapter? Really? Anyway, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks, Sarah! =D

    ReplyDelete